Wednesday 19 December 2012

KEVIN RYAN ( UNTITLED PAINTER ) - I DRINK, THEREFORE I AM




Above: Untitled ( 1 ).



Above: Untitled ( 1 ) - detail.



Above: Untitled ( 2 ).



Above: Untitled ( 2 ) - detail.


Above: Untitled ( 3 ).


Above: Untitled ( 4 ).



Why do you never title your work?

1. The reason is simply because the paintings are not made with anything in mind. I don't want the work to be read in any specific manner which could be suggested by a title. That's also why I call myself Untitled Painter.

Describe your technique.

2. I don't have a technique. I try to keep away from doing anything that is planned. I just work on each painting until they are done with.

What does abstraction mean to you?

3. I don't think abstraction really means anything to me, I make work that can be classed as abstraction, but I don't think of it as such.

What would you say to a person who does not get abstraction?

4. Is there a point of abstraction? I don't think its my business to convince anyone of anything.

Why is your work small?




5. My work is small at the moment, because the way I work suits the handheld.

What's the attraction of using beer mats? Are they symbolic in any way?

6. I frequent the pub rather a lot so decided to use the mats as a surface to make work on. Thinking about showing them in a pub sometime soon.